Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jason Vons @ The Bakersfield Rodeo!

Some of my dearest friends in all of the world decided it would be a good idea to take me out to the Rodeo in Bakersfield, Ca. Me, the space princess...to the rodeo. I LOVE country music, and enjoy dancing to it even more... but going to the rodeo was lifetime ago, back when I was cute and adorable, when I was loud and full of energy, low on common sense and high on adrenaline! Man, those were the days! Rowdy Dezilou was going back to the scene of the crime, and this time with witnesses... oh my! Of course life has changed me, and with it the rodeo experience too. This night was perfect. We arrived early, got a good parking place, and made our way to the booths in front of the stands. The smell of funnel cakes, fresh roasted corn on the cob, cold beer and steak sauce permeated every square inch of rustic arena space.
Sandra decided to try on cowboy hats, with the disclaimer that she doesn't look good in them resonating from her lips, as men passing by were looking on with one raised eyebrow, thinking "Hell yes you do!" written all over their faces. It made me chuckle to watch the gentle coaxing of her husband, and long time boyfriend, Donnie trying to get her to model them for him. How they delight in one another, makes me smile. Sandra and I checked out jewelry (it is a girl thing!), and made our way to the clothing booths. Sandra and I decided to buy new shirts since the ones we were wearing were too big for us. (by a whole size or two!) She picked out a cute little teal number with pink highlights, and of course she picked out the perfect pink one for me too.
Without thinking, teasingly, I leaned into Donnie, and asked him if he thought I could get that one to go. Leaning back peering through the crowd, eyes affixed on a tall good looking man in the corner. He was the most attractive pretty boy, God has graced the rodeo circuit with in decades... JASON VONS. Donnie caught my gaze, and smiled. His eyes lite up, and within a flash he is gone!!! I am left dying,embarrassed, melting in a pool of why me introspection. (Remind me not to make innuendos to men that love me like their daughter, have no shame in embarrassing me to all hell, and would love nothing else then to see me eternally happy.) In a blink of an eye, and a cloud of dust, Donnie was G-O-N-E...GONE..LONG GONE!!! Square stepped and bee lined to the Army booth, assuredly to hit up the honorable men in green for a picture of their spokesman, front man, recruiter extraordinaire, and pretty boy, Jason Vons with me. He sets up the whole scene with them sharing the sorted details of my divorce...nice. Strangers knowing my loser status, in order to procure a photo with the interest of my desires. But none the less it works, without any reservations his buddies send him down the river... sure he will do it, gladly, anytime man. Donnie is beaming, bouncing on the air currents, proud of his acquisition. He has secured a coveted photo op. Of course I am doing my best to avoid eye contact with him as much as possible, and it is of no use... if anyone knows Donnie, when Donnie wants to be heard, there aren't many who don't notice him.
Donnie is going to make sure I have a great time at this rodeo or he is going to kill me. He breaks the news. He is so proud of himself, and what the heck... like who is Vons anyway? I mean, some self serving wonder god who is in love with himself and his sport of choice no doubt! What does it matter, in the scheme of things, it is one picture...why not, I am game.
After some time (for me to get up my nerve), we meander our way through the crowd for the coveted 30 seconds of shame. Sandra in tow, getting a quick in service on how to use my camera, and we are off. Donnie hits the gates running and introduces himself to Vons. Asking him if his buddies have enlightened him to what they have signed him up for? Yeah no. Not so much... Donnie quickly explains asks if he might pose with me for a photo. And in flash of a second, any rodeo man, or NASCAR nut would truly appreciate, he fires off with HELLLL YA! Let me stop the clock for just a second here, Here I am standing there mortified he does not know, and I am panicky, wanting to leave, exit stage right, fly the coop. And Donnie asks... and he fires back HELLLL YA! He could have said sure, or he could have said no problem, could have even said why not... but he didn't! He said HELLLL YA!
Let me tell you, for a woman going through a divorce, trying every single second of every single moment to stay afloat... there was nothing he could have given me more rewarding then that Milli moment gut reaction in time.
I mean, I don't want a pretty boy to have and to keep for my own, someone you have to feel insecure about who is taking him one from you, I just like watching them, taking note of them... and it is nice...nice beyond measure to know that they took note of me too.
I got my photo and tried to run away, but he introduced himself to Donnie and myself. I shook his hand, made small talk and he asked me my name twice before I actually gave it to him. It was great, and about all that I could handle at this stage of the game for me. We ended up going back to our seats and cheering on the boys from Oakdale,CA- Modesto,CA and Fallon, NV...and of course, Jason Vons. The night was cool, and the rich warm smell of dirt, men and animals wafted through the air. It was perfect rodeo weather. We watched the girls with amazing hair (in envy), and the even more spectacular horses, brave bronc riders, quick as lightning calf ropers, and insaine bull riders all do their thing. Even Vons rode, and impressively placed 3rd, even walked away with a little cash. I guess we both had a really good night. Next year; I am going to buy another shirt since this pink one is going to be too big by then, I am going to eat my very first funnel cake ever...(Strawberry I think), I am coming for both days, and I am sooooooooo staying for the dance... Who knows, maybe by then I will no longer be broken, and I might actually find that one cowboy who challenges me mentally, and loves to dance.... It could happen. Until then; Good Luck Jason Vons...nice ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment