Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Meeting Mr. Bolden...

I went to Florida to watch the STS-132 shuttle launch. It was the last scheduled flight for Atlantis. I want to share it with you.

You guys know how much I love NASA, and you know how excited I must have been to get the opportunity to watch a shuttle launch. But bigger then that, I love my job, and the administrator at this time is Charlie Bolden. He is a retired astronaut who was not just a Marine, but also a 5 mission veteran of space flight. He was a pilot on a couple and a commander on another. Charlie Bolden is right up there with Cornell Powell with hero status in my heart. Mr. Bolden is a passionate leader of NASA in a time of great change for the agency. Whenever he comes to Dryden people swarm him and there was never a way that I can ever meet the man. His time is precious and it is controlled very tightly by the upper management of the center.

Well I got the chance to go to Florida for the STS-132 Launch. And the day before the launch I went to the KSC visitor's center there in Orlando. It was the most magical place on earth for me. Some would argue that Disney World had the tap on that market (especially in Orlando), but for me... KSC visitor's Center was Better then any other place on earth. I love history with a passion, and I truly love all things NASA. Here I was immersed in it. Around every corner there was more to see, learn, and soak in. I was a big kid in a new and exciting playground. High on life and the blessings I could never have imagined for myself. I felt like I was in a dream. A make a wish fantasy without the diagnosis of cancer. I was on cloud nine waiting for the launch to wiz by so I could catch a ride to a magical star. Life was GREAT!

I had walked around for the better part of the day, and made my way into a gift shop where I was getting trinkets of NASA and STS-132's big day for the three of my boys. I had an arm full of goodies, and I waited in line to get up to the busy register. When I finally got there I reached into my wallet to find all of my credit cards, my insurance card, and my driver's license GONE! I panicked and ran out of the store with fear in my soul and my heart in my throat. I was flooded with all sorts of thoughts.

Someone stole it, a pick pocket. Someone was running up all kinds of bills on my accounts. How was I ever going to be able to get on the plane without my driver's license? How was I going to get home to my boys? How do I get a replacement DL? How do you do it from another state? And how long will it take? How do I get a hold of the credit card companies and tell them to discontinue the accounts when I do not know my account numbers by heart? I was so scared, and I began to become very frightened.

I instantly retreated into my mind and prayed to my heavenly father. Oh God, please, I don't know how you could see me out of this, but I really need your help. I know I do not deserve your help, but I really need your help on this one. I don't know what to do. Guide me. Please Father, HELP ME!! I tried to keep myself from busting into tears, even as I desperately wanted to.

I tried to calm myself, but to no a veil. I told Carl what had happened, and we began a frantic search of all of the places I had been. All the times I thought I had them out. I thought back to lunch. Did I pull it out and set it on the tray? Did I throw them out with the trash from lunch?? I did not know. We ran back to the area where we had been eating to look in the trash can. I was desperate and I did not care how silly or gross it looked. I had to find them.

When I got there I looked in the trash can, but it had been emptied and a new trash bag lined the can. I was sad, and hopeless. Carl thought maybe, just maybe I left it in the car when I went back to change clothes earlier in the day. I was headed in that direction, when out of the corner of my eye. There at the park in a quiet little cubby hole sitting on the edge of a planter box, bent over looking at his blackberry cell phone was no other then Charles Bolden himself. All alone. He too was visiting the park with his family. They were in the gift shop buying souvenirs, while he waited outside taking a moment to catch up on the business of running NASA. I could not believe it.

Carl was at my side with me and he urged me to go up and say hello to him. I couldn't. I did not want to disturb him. To me he was more then our administrator, our leader, and boss. Charles Bolden was an icon, and a hero. I had watched him speak to congress, and read everything I could get my hands on about the man, his legacy, his accomplishments, his history. I had seen him in person once there at Dryden... that was a treat, but he was never alone. Charlie Bolden was NASA Royalty And deserving so. Carl took the lead, with his bold confidence, walking directly up to him,extending his hand and introduced himself to Mr. Bolden and explained he was from Dryden. And then he introduced me to him as well. Mr. Bolden was so warm and welcoming. He shook not only our hands, but our arms as well. He was a normal everyday American, just like Carl and myself. He was just as excited that we came to watch the launch for our vacation as we were to be there. It was amazing. We did not keep him long, for we knew his time was valuable. But it made my whole year. I could not even wish that big. And yet, it was a reality. It was awesome.

What impressed me the most about the man, was that he was there just like I was, as a tourist, on vacation with his whole family. He had his grandchildren riding on his back, and of the thousands of people there at the visitor's center that day, very few people recognized him. As accomplished, educated, and smart as he is, he was also a true family man. He, like me, holds a passion for NASA, but much bigger then even myself, and for better reasons... he lived it. And yet he still found the most important thing on earth was exactly the same thing I think is the most important too... our families. I recognized Mr. Bolden, and I got to shake his hand. It was an honor, and a delight.

Right afterward, I made my way to the car, and guess what? There in a bag in the front seat was every card. Safe and sound. Carl was right.

Had I never lost the cards, if I had not stopped to pray silently to God from my heart, if I had not retraced my steps, if it had been at any other time of the day, or the week, he would not have been there alone... Had Carl never stepped in when I would not. I never would have met my hero.

The right place at the right time. It just reminds me how precious even our trials can be to shape our futures. I am blessed beyond all measure and I am as much in awe of meeting the man as I am in just how the events played out. I just had to take a moment to share it with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment