Thursday, April 8, 2010

The faith of a woman...

There was a woman I once knew.  Our friendship was an odd one.  She thought I was an angel.  And her strength in her conviction, her passionate faith had me believing maybe it was true.  I knew better of course, and I even protested, but she would argue with such eloquence.  backing it up with fact, dates, times, ideas, and firmly grounded in faith... I had to wonder.  Maybe I was an angel sent on a mission, maybe I did have a purpose, and a reason.  This woman was an unlikely friend.  I easily could have been her great granddaughter.

I wanted to be what she believed I was.  I wanted to be her angel.  She thought I was sent to her family, and even though I knew I was not, her faith really made me wonder.  A child of God.  A precious hand picked angel for her family.  I would get upset at her protesting until she would have me soothed and comforted.  She just knew.  I have never met anyone who could literally be that close to both sides of the veil at the same time.

I moved to the desert and was having a hard time with a rash decision I had made at the time based purly on the bases of my faithfulness to the doctrine of the church.  I did everything I was asked.  I took on every challenge head long.  I walked the walk, talked the talk, I read my scriptures daily... this was suppose to be my reward... and it was not.  It was far from it.  I cooked, and cleaned, and I got my dream job along the way.  Every step she adored me, and was always there to chat with.  She was a safe, calm voice, to heal my tired heart.  She was my friend when I did not think I had any.

This woman, this wonderful, and godly angel herself passed away.  It tears my heart apart.  I weep at my loss of her even though I had not talked with her in nearly 2 years.  She meant more to me then she should have, she was not my kin... she was my friend.  She never gave up the assurances of her conviction. 


I began to believe her, if only for a little while.  I will miss you Grandma Willard.  You were the kindest, most wonderful person.  A strong and stubborn old woman who I will forever look up to and love forever more.  May the Lord bless your journey, and may you keep busy teaching, loving, and building your Mansion in the city and your cottage in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment