Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Agency CIO's Visit Dryden!

The new Agency CIO for NASA joined us today for a walk through and overview of our unique niche in the NASA family's big picture. Lind Cureton is not just an amazingly eloquent speaker, but she is very politically correct as well. She is an expert navigator of some torrential tempest seas. Her history is as colorful and in depth and remarkable as anyone you would expect to hold down such a distinguished career position as hers, but what struck a cord with me was how down to earth she was. How she easily, and with confidence, and great poise, communicated with all of us around her... no matter what our position, our given rank, or our title. She was diligent in attending to her duties as she was shuttled to and from every venue under the blazing sun at Dryden. And yet she was humorous and lighthearted when the moments called for it. She is an amazing choice, in my humble opinion, to be the spearhead of such a vital and needed chain of leadership for the Office of the CIO.
It was truly an honor to meet all of them. Jerry Williams, Bobby German, and Linda Cureton were so classy, gracious, and kind. It is not what I had expected from Heads of NASA power positons, and the rock of the Information Technology Team. Beyond vasts amounts of knowledge, there was a current which flowed forth of excitement for the technology, for the unique missions we support here at Dryden, and childlike curiosity. These are all amazing emotions that I as a fly on a wall was blessed to see first hand in the faces of these intellectual giants. It makes me feel comforted, and secure with our leadership knowing that they too feel the same currents of pride, and excitement that we feel everyday supporting our mission directive of exploration and innovation.
They took time to speak to the people even though I know that they really did not have the time too. They answered questions, and encouraged an open dialogue with our center. They never once let on how much they were physically dragging. They got in to their hotel at 0130 in the morning, which is 0430 their time. Then they were at Dryden by 0815. I know they had to be exhausted and tired... but they never let on as such. They were diligent in their quest to do and see what makes this place so special and so unique. I am impressed that our new CIO of only 2 days would want to do this. Obviously she wanted to see first hand for herself, and she did. Change is in the air for the whole I.T. branch of the equation, and yet with an uphill battle waging in front of us, I am excited. With Cloud Computing on the horizon, I think we have strong capable leaders to guide us to new heights.
It was a honor to meet them all, to shuttle them around and play. I did not wear the right shoes for the day, and I am paying the price even today for it. I would not have changed a single moment of it though. Getting to see them truly enjoy this wonderful center, to get to physically observe them really getting the big picture of WHY we are here. That was amazing, and a once in a lifetime opportunity. We are not paper pushers here at Dryden, we are the doers of NASA. The often forgotten, unspoken workhorse of the fleet. We are small in comparison, but we are mighty in mission and accomplishment, rich in history, and grounded in the security of NASA's continued future. I am proud of our foot mark on this agency, and it was neat to see the CIO's get a sense of that pride too. That is huge.
Linda and Jerry got to fly in the F-18 simulator, and if you saw the previous entry of my personal experience in them you know how exhilarating it is. I loved watching them light up just as I did. They may be the top line, but they are still very personable and human. Grown up children reveling in joy. I loved that. Enjoyment of the silver lining to a very stressful position. A chance of a lifetime also for them.
They visited Global Hawk plane as well as the control center. Spoke technology and mission with the boys that really make it happen. I showed first hand the importance of OUR I.T. support at the center at that level. I LOVED IT! What a great job that I have, to be witness to such things. THIS is what makes my job fun. THIS is why I do what I do. THIS is why I am the way that I am. I really enjoy my life. What a wonderful blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment