Monday, June 1, 2009

STS-125 Ferry Flight back to Florida from CA...

Oh how I wish I had more time to devote to this entry. There is no possible way that I can do justice with the limited time I have available to adequately convey my passionate exuberance for this experience. I love this job, I love this place, I love this country, I love my life. There are a limited number of Shuttle flights remaining, and June 13th's scheduled launch is the very last scheduled shuttle recovery for California as we know it. This is the next to the last, the end of an era. The sunset of a prolific time and place. I stand here at the neatest place on earth, doing what I do best... just being me, and I am loved for it. I am surrounded by amazing minds, technical feats unimaginable to most of us, and the spirit of potential wafting within the air like a man's cologne after he passes. I am passionate about the true treasures within my life, the experiences I get to be a part of, and of the deep abiding friendships which are being formed upon these sacred grounds. I know it is cliche to say, but I do feel as a flower before the bloom. I know that my greatest potential is yet to be. NASA helps me to define who and what I am without fear, and with confidence. I am in all aspects a part of this team, a part of this clay and sand, a part of this living legacy of greatness. I work everyday to reach my current potential, and continually strive far beyond it for all of those around me. I love that these people are humble, and do not see themselves as what we, on the outside looking in, see. NASA is a symbol of greatness, of amazement, of wonder, of technology, of conquering all odds, and personal growth and passion while all being neatly wrapped up in this mighty nation. No one on earth looks upon the shuttle as mediocre, or mundane. The droves of people parked on the side of the highway, or camped out in viewing areas, or standing on over passes with great cameras, all just to get a decent picture of this ferry flight. I am honored everyday I get to drive into this great place. NASA in name alone invokes excitement... I just wish everyone could experience what I feel. The whole nation, as well as those that work for NASA, need to feel good about this place, and what we do again... we need to have the pride, and passion, and not be afraid to be vocal of where we work or the contributions that are made here. To encourage one another not to stifle the energy that is on this campus. It is our passions that fuel interest. Today I came to work at 0500 to see the shuttle leave at 0530, only to find it had been delayed until 0830. So I went into work and helped with a ViTS between our awesome CIO at Dryden and the big guys at Headquarters. It was fun to be a part of the inner circle even if I was just a fly on a wall in full observation mode. Awed and honored, it was not easy to take notes, to stay focused and on track. However, as soon as I was able, I was back to the roof of building 4800 to watch the 747 taxi off. I had a good friend in tow running as fast as I could in heels to the tarmac... only to find the 747 was already halfway down the runway heading out of sight. I was disappointed, and ever grateful that I took some up close pictures at 0500 with limited sunlight rather then not getting any at all. My friend and I headed to the observation deck to watch it fly away. Once on the roof tear after tear began to fall down my cheeks, I was heartbroken I had missed her initial taxi maneuvering to the runway. No sobbing, just silent tears...but it was enough to draw some unwanted attention... called on the carpet by my friends, I told them to shut up. I know I am a geek, but this is my passion, this is what I live and die for. Not for a name, a logo, a plane, or even the shuttle, but rather I thrive for what it symbolizes and what it stands for. A seemingly impossible dream achieved... Watching STS-125 fly, lift off, and take to the sky was nothing less then inspiring... How such a big plane with so much weight, can make it airborne is a sight worth seeing. She circled around with her chase plane close to her side as they looped over the NASA logo on the roof of Hanger 4801... I stood there quietly knowing, without a shadow of a doubt, with clarity of thought, thinking to myself..."Dreams are obtainable, Passions are fuel, and Advances are still yet to be made." I am the luckiest woman on earth. I have found the love, inspiration, and passion, of my life... we call it NASA Dryden.

1 comment:

  1. Hey dear I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Puckerbrush award here http://untangledfamilyroots.blogspot.com/2009/06/puckerbrush-award.html. You may not be one of my genealogy buddy bloggers, but you are one hell of a writer. Even James enjoyed reading your blog.

    Take care dear. We sure miss you.

    ReplyDelete